Smart Steps is an established School Aged Childcare (SAC) service operating from local schools in Co. Donegal.
We have an excellent track record of providing a practical and reliable out-of-school care service for parents, offering a child-centred, nurturing, fun and friendly service for the children we care for each day.
Our ethos is one of inclusivity, fun and friendship. We aspire to ensure the voice of every child is heard within our services and every child’s passion and interest is catered for in accordance with their age and stage of development.
We have a passionate team of practitioners, each working hard to ensure our settings consistently achieves high standards in all areas of operation.
Due to our organisation’s growth and upcoming expansion, we are currently seeking to employ a number of suitably qualified and experienced professionals for the role of SAC Practitioner in various locations.
The role of the SAC Practitioner is to ensure the smooth operation of the service on a daily basis and to fully engage with the children and families attending the setting, by responding to the interests, ideas and abilities of all children and by building positive relationships with the families availing of the service, the staff team, the school personnel and the wider community.
The Duties of the SAC Practitioner Include:
• Ensuring a welcoming, friendly, child-led service is provided for children of the community each day.
• Building positive and supportive relationships with the children and families availing of the service.
• Careful observation of children to identify their needs and interests without interference, and to provide for children’s interests through the planning of activities and requesting of resources.
• Careful management of confidential information when it is presented or required in line with the organisations Confidentiality policy and GDPR regulations
• Working with the Manager to develop daily, weekly and monthly offered activity plans.
• Assisting the Manager with risk identification, assessments and development of strategies to manage risk.
• Reporting of any incidents or concerns to the Organisation and / Manager
• Regular participation in Supervision and Support sessions.
• Developing positive relationships with the Teachers and staff of the school and with the wider community
• Keeping accurate logs of attendance, cleaning schedules and medications
• Representing the Organisation by phone and in person as required.
• Stock taking and reporting supply shortages
• Assisting with the preparation and serving of meals and snacks
• Working with the whole staff team to ensure a thoroughly clean environment is maintained.
• Participating in continuous professional development courses and other courses as per the request of the Manager or the needs of the service / individual.
• Other duties may be required to be undertaken from time to time, in line with the needs and demands of the setting and / or Smart Steps
• Professional, friendly and approachable manner with the ability to engage with people from diverse backgrounds
• Passionate about the development and well-being of children of all ages.
• Dedicated to facilitating a wholly child-led environment to support children, families and the wider community.
• Committed to providing a service of the highest standard through research and continuous professional development
• A team player with a strong focus working together with the whole staff team to achieve the best possible outcomes for all
• Highly reliable with a positive attitude and a good work ethic.
• Ability to prioritise tasks and work with flexibility in a fast paced and changeable environment
Applicants must be in a position to satisfy Garda vetting requirements.
Essential Qualifications, and Skills Criteria for Consideration of this Post:
• Qualification to a minimum of QQI Level 5 / NVQ Level 2 in Early Childhood Education and Care, Playwork or a related discipline.
• Fluent in English with excellent aural, verbal and written communication skills.
• Highly developed observation skills
• Good command of the Irish Language and / or any developed creative or athletic hobbies / interests are advantageous.
• Certification in Child Protection, Fire Safety, HACCP & First Aid are desirable – however training will be provided.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience post qualification working with specifically with Children of school age.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, interested parties are asked to submit the following:
1. An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
2. Accompanying cover letter outlining relevant experience to date and suitability for the post
3. 2 x written character references – other references may be sought at a later stage
Please send all of the above for the attention of Mrs Rebecca Fleury via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org entering ‘SAC Practitioner Application’ in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is 12pm Thursday 20th October.
Smart Steps is an equal opportunities employer.